Think you have what it takes to spook our socks off? Frighten us with your scariest tale and you might win prizes and be published.
Students ages 11 – 18 can enter their spookiest story in our annual Scary Story Contest. The panel of judges from the Port Moody Public Library, the Coquitlam Public Library, and a professional writer will award first, second, and third place prizes to the three best entries in two age categories: 11 to 14, and 15 to 18.
Rules for the contest are as follows:
- Each entry must be an original story.
- Each entry must be no longer than 500 words (title and byline do not count towards the total).
- Writers must live or go to school in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore, or Belcarra.
- Each entry must include the following words:
- Stories that do not include all three words will be disqualified.
- Writers who submit entries must be no younger than 11 and no older than 18 on the deadline date of Wednesday, October 19, 2022.
- Each writer must include their name, age, phone number and city of residence when they submit an entry. Writers, if your city of residence is outside the Tri-Cities, please include the name of the Tri-Cities school that you attend.
- Writers must e-mail their entries as an attachment. We will not consider files shared through SharePoint, OneDrive or other Cloud-based services. Send as a Word or PDF attachment or include the story in the body of the message. Send to to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, October 19, 2022.
A panel of judges will determine the winners in each category. Winners in each age category will receive prizes worth $50 (first), $30 (second) and $20 (third). Some entries will also be published in the paper and electronic versions of the Tri-City News.